Monday, February 9, 2009

2009 - The first month

It's been a while since I updated the blog and wanted to bring everyone up to speed on what is going on. I have been extremely busy with work, coaching, training for TransMexicana, being on the MBAA Board of Directors and helping out with my mountain bike team - Adrenaline.

Work has been fairly steady, although about 10% of the workforce at Amex was laid off last month. Luckily, I'm in a semi-steady group where we don't expect any impact... at least not yet. I am also coaching 14 riders right now, and that usually has an impact in the evenings and at the races.

So far, we've had two mountain bike races this year (haven't been able to do a road race yet) and it's really been more training for me. Wendy is racing in the Cat 2 (Sport) Class and doing extremely well. She placed 2nd in the first race and won the second one - and that's with riding once or twice a week. I, on the other hand, can't get even close to the podium. I done the marathon class for the two races and placed 6th at both races.

My main focus the past 2 months has been TransMexicana, a 8-day, 7-stages mountain bike race across Mexico. Race starts in Huatulco in the state of Oaxaca, and finishes in Veracruz, in the state of Veracruz. About 775 KM or just under 500 miles if my math is correct. This past week I rode 2-4 hours every day, so needless to say, my legs were a bit tired for the race on Saturday. I was supposed to do another 3 hour ride yesterday, but the weather got in the way and after getting soaked in the first 30 minutes, decided to bag it. I love riding in the rain when it's warm, but not when it's cold. Besides, I'd hate to get sick just a couple of weeks before the big race.

As I mentioned before, I'm part of the MBAA Board of Directors - Competition Chairman - and didn't think it would be this time consuming. Making sure we have permits for all the venues, determining the laps for all classes, helping at the races, and the most time consuming... answering emails/complaints from people. I wish folks would just have fun!!! but I understand that when things go wrong, we all have to voice our opinions. Hopefully our next few races will go without incident.

Last thing is Team Adrenaline - great friends!! I got a grip sponsor - ESI Grips - the best grips around. I been using them for about 5 years with no complaints. I also got some name stickers for people, unfortunately, I'm not into detail and misspelled two names... now I got to have them redone. Still I enjoy helping out. I got a new 29er Titus Fireline, but I'm still waiting for my fork and wheels to build up the bike. Should be fun. I plan on using it to race the last 5 races of the season in the Expert class instead of Marathon. Need to work on getting fast.... I can ride for a long time, I just can't go as fast as I want to. Could it be I'm getting older.... nah!!! Must be the training.

I'll try to post some updates from Mexico - race starts on February 22 - but can't make any promises since I don't know if or where I'll have access to the internet.

Wishing everyone a very happy and prosperous 2009 - if the economy ever changes :-)

No comments: