Monday, August 25, 2008

TR - Day 1 Buena Vista to Numbers

Hi all,

Wendy again. One down and five to go!! Today Stu and I completed the first stage from Buena Vista to Numbers. It was a beautiful run of about 13 miles along the Arkansas river. With the majestic Colegiate Peaks of the Rocky mountains all around it was quite scenic. The altitude was a little tough for me and the last 3 miles were a struggle. However as soon as I finished I ate and drank and felt a lot better. Art did a terrific job of support. When we returned to the RV he had sandwiches and drinks ready for us, along with smoked salmon! Today's start was at 10am and it was quite warm, certainly more than I expected. No rain though until this evening when we had a few showers.



We've met a few of the other runners at dinner. Everyone seems pretty relaxed. Some teams finished incredibly fast.....we made it in 2:32:27. Not bad for a couple of flatlanders :- )

Art rode his mountain bike back and forth along the course and took some photos.



Tomorrow looks like a tough stage. Only 10 miles but very steep and rocky. Starting at just under 9600 ft, we have 2 miles of semi flat then we climb 3000 ft in 2 miles....needless to say we'll be walking that!! The good news is that we then get to go down hill for another 3500 ft in 4 miles and then 2 more flat to the finish. We end at Twin Lakes at 9200 ft elevation. We go over Hope Pass at 12500 ft so not much oxygen anywhere tomorrow!

That's about it from me for today. I'll check in again tomorrow assuming I can get a signal.

C'ya.

No comments: